Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Night cloud cover

It is rather easy to display the amount of cloud cover at night.
I use a OneWire temperature sensor covered in black silicon and with it facing the sky.
You could use one of the onewire connections on the "Soil moisture / Leaf wetness Interface"
I have the onewire sensor connected directly to the TX board that I am using.
If the temperature of this Onewire sensor and the temperature of your wx station are the same then you have cloudy sky.
If the temperature of this Onewire unit is 2 deg lower than the WX station temperature then you have Clear sky.
And so on.
This works great. 

Cheers
Philip

p.s. I can add a photo and other info if required.

I remember this neat little trick originating (I think) from the Weather Display folk. I must put one together and have a play. 

Uh oh - something else to do next week  Big Grin

Colin

41south.net.nz powered by WeatherDuino and Weewx

(02-02-2019, 04:12)41south Wrote:  I remember this neat little trick originating (I think) from the Weather Display folk. I must put one together and have a play. 

Uh oh - something else to do next week  Big Grin

Colin

Yes, that's right. I remember putting a photo of my sensor there. 
It's a little bit easier to do on Weatherdisplay as it's built into the program, but with Cumulus, that I am using, a bit of work on the website is required.
Cheers

Weather Display does work with Weatherduino, I have a copy and, of course, it is a lifetime license. I use Cumulus at the moment; though not using Weather Display is more of a reflection of my webiste building skills than anything else. I used to use Weather Display on my 20 year old Davis Groweather as it was the only software that could deal with such ancient technology. The Groweather is still working save the RH sensor, though I no longer have it reporting to a website.

It seems the Antipodean help line is working well, I might need it when I try to set up a weatherduino for my daughter in Auckland in March! (if she lets me?)

(02-02-2019, 07:12)JT118 Wrote:  Weather Display does work with Weatherduino, I have a copy and, of course, it is a lifetime license. I use Cumulus at the moment though not using Weather Display is more of a reflection of my webiste building skills than anything else. I used to use Weather Display on my 20 year old Davis Groweather as it was the only software that could deal with such ancient technology. The Groweather is still working save the RH sensor, though I no longer have it reporting to a website.

It seems the Antipodean help line is working well, I might need it when I try to set up a weatherduino for my daughter in Auckland in March! (if she lets me?)

Yes, I quite like Weatherdisplay but Cumulus doesn't heart my 74year old brain as much. ?
Have fun getting the Auckland wx station going.?
Cheers

Yep, used WD for many years with my 1-wire system. Brian is amazing the way he supports so much hardware with that software.

Go the antipodes!  Big Grin

41south.net.nz powered by WeatherDuino and Weewx

(02-02-2019, 07:12)JT118 Wrote:  Weather Display does work with Weatherduino ...

During my tests with Weather Display, I only found a difficulty: I haven't found a way to use a multiplier for the rain data, so it only gives correct rain readings when used with a rain gauge which have 0.2mm per tip.
However, may there is a way that I hasn't managed to found.

(03-02-2019, 05:02)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(02-02-2019, 07:12)JT118 Wrote:  Weather Display does work with Weatherduino ...

During my tests with Weather Display, I only found a difficulty: I haven't found a way to use a multiplier for the rain data, so it only gives correct rain readings when used with a rain gauge which have 0.2mm per tip.

I think the setting could be done on the:
'Universal Setup' page. On the 'Rainfall Setup' area.
Just on the left in the Rain Offset area.
In the second box, I think you could put 1.4 for the Fine Offset rain gauge.
I haven't tried it but I think that would work.
Cheers 
Philip

Not sure as I have always used metric or imperial gauges rather than FO or similar with odd bucket tip volumes.

But maybe here; (or ask Brian Hamilton)

(03-02-2019, 08:37)philipgm Wrote:  
(03-02-2019, 05:02)Werk_AG Wrote:  

I think the setting could be done on the:
'Universal Setup' page. On the 'Rainfall Setup' area.
Just on the left in the Rain Offset area.
In the second box, I think you could put 1.4 for the Fine Offset rain gauge.
I haven't tried it but I think that would work.
Cheers 
Philip
We must have been posting at the same time !