This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Netatmo Wind Gauge
Hi,

Hmm, that's rather interesting. This link suggests that it "Works with" various "open" products, but I wonder if it is directly at the 868/915 MHz frequency, or only via WiFi (i.e. the Netatmo hub).

Several of those "compatible" devices appear to support Zigbee (which can operate at 868, 915 MHz and 2.4GHz), but others appear to be only 2.4GHz (WiFi / Bluetooth, etc.). So I take that "compatibility" diagram with a large pinch of salt.

To "hack" the wireless protocol, you really need to know what is being transmitted which implies you also need to buy a receiver/hub. Even then the data may not be directly accessible but only via a Web Browser / The Cloud. So sorry, I'm not volunteering at the moment. I note that one of their FAQs is
"Q11: Does the Netatmo Weather Station have a Windows / Desktop / PC App?
No, unfortunately the Netatmo Weather Station has no Windows / Desktop / PC App at the moment".

On a more general note of "usefulness"; the wind sensor is described as "battery operated" and doesn't appear to have solar charging. That means the "power budget" would be very limited, which can be achieved (only) by measuring and transmitting data rather infrequently. In a review, there was a comment that the data only "updates" once every five minutes, which might not be sufficient for a "real" weather station.

Cheers, Alan.

PS: The (FAQ) "Answers" on the page linked above, from Q17 to Q32 imply that it doesn't use any "known" wireless protocol. And Q33 confirms that it uses (only) 4 x AA cells to give "up to" one year of use.

Messages In This Thread
Netatmo Wind Gauge - by hvalentim - 23-05-2016, 10:23
RE: Netatmo Wind Gauge - by AllyCat - 23-05-2016, 12:32
RE: Netatmo Wind Gauge - by hvalentim - 23-05-2016, 17:32
RE: Netatmo Wind Gauge - by AllyCat - 24-05-2016, 16:43