Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average

Measuring Solar Radiation based on Photovoltaic Cells

Starting by the end...

Quote:3) Could we just use the existing Solar sensor supplied with the WH3081 package, like pictured below (ignore the TX unit in the pic)?

Maybe you just could use the case to build your sensor... but remember, the photovoltaic cell must be mounted in horizontal position facing the sky, not facing the sun.
The called "Solar Sensor" used on Fine Offset Weather Stations is in fact, a sensor of light intensity. The values ​​are read in Lux and subsequently Cumulus converts them to watt / m2, using a formula, valid only for green light wave lengths.
Perhaps the solar cell can be used, but I do not know their characteristics ...

Quote:2) What software settings are required to enabled this?

Just enable //#define ID4 by uncommenting this line on TX software, and enable reception of Solar/UV data on RX software uncommenting this line: //#define SRUV_OutUnit 0 (assuming Solar/UV sensors are connected to TX unit 0)

Connect Solar Radiation sensor analog output to A0 on TX board.
Connect UV sensor analog output to A1 on TX board.
Input analog range is 0 Volt to 1.1Volt.

Quote:1) Can I purchase the PCB required?

I have no plans to sell those boards, but I still have three or four units.

Quote:I have no plans to sell those boards, but I still have three or four units.
Well I wouldn't mind one, pretty please. Happy to pay.

uncle_bob and water01

As I said before I never thought selling these small boards, and I can't even remember how much they cost me. However as you have already acquired RX and TX boards, I'm happy to offer one unit to each of you. You only have to pay shipping costs. PM me.
This is not just business, to me has been very rewarding to see other people implement the WeatherDuino Pro 2 project. Selling some boards, of course will help me with the development costs.

water01, I hope your new WeatherDuino Pro2 Weather Station will be online soon.

Quote:water01, I hope your new WeatherDuino Pro2 Weather Station will be online soon.

Now there is pressure Big Grin. Still waiting some parts but the majority are here. Need to brush up on my soldering skills as well, but I think I am happy to get started soon.

Then I will have to buy the wind, rain etc. bits from maplins and start trying it out. Will keep you both informed.

PM on it's way.

(09-09-2014, 23:15)water01 Wrote:  Now there is pressure Big Grin. Still waiting some parts but the majority are here. Need to brush up on my soldering skills as well, but I think I am happy to get started soon.

Then I will have to buy the wind, rain etc. bits from maplins and start trying it out. Will keep you both informed.

PM on it's way.

Take your time. Build it only when you are shure how to do it. Pressure? You only get it after you have connected your BMPxxx module. SmileSmile

PM replied.

Werk_AG

I notice that in the photos of you solar boards, the AD822AN OP amp is missing (in both pics)
Is that still required or did you find a way to avoid it?
(Sorry if this is a stupid question).

I've got the UVM-30 so now I need to find a PV cell (I stupidly throw out about a dozen old garden lights about a year ago). I need to get cracking on this at the days are getting shorter Sad
The sad face is because I hate winter.

Uncle_bob you could re-purpose the solar cell from the FO Solar Pod if you didn't want to use it any more..... it only has two short wires on it that goes to teh PCB, quick snip and you're done Smile

I bought some of those cheap solar cell elements on ebay, and I can package a few up and post to Canberra if you like. A couple of smaller pieces will let you "tune" the size to your requirements too

Sure, sounds good. I'll PM you my address. Do you have a paypal account or something to cover the costs?

(12-01-2015, 13:50)uncle_bob Wrote:  Werk_AG

I notice that in the photos of you solar boards, the AD822AN OP amp is missing (in both pics)
Is that still required or did you find a way to avoid it?

Yes, that OP is still required!

Quote:I need to get cracking on this at the days are getting shorter.

SmileSmile And I'm waiting for sunshine days to try to get something more easy to build for everyone.

hi Werk_AG, is there an actual schematic of how you've wired your op-amp in to this circuit ?