This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Fitting Davis Anemometer and Wind Vane 7911 & 6410 to WeatherDuino Pro2
The info below was originally posted by JT118 in the Test / Development forum. Due to its importance, and with his permission, I'm reproducing it here.

Notes For Fitting Davis Anemometer and Wind Vane 7911 & 6410 to TX V3.xx (and many other reed switch/potentiomemter makes and models)

This wiring also applies to any Wind Vane/anemometer combination with a potentiometer on the Vane and anemometer with a reed switch. For example, Didcot instruments with this combination and many others.

The 6410 and 7911 are identical in all respects except that there are two small 47ohm resistors either side of the reed switch on the 6410 and some later models of the 7911. The older 7911 had the red and black wires soldered directly to the reed switch. Both models will work with Weatherduino in the same way and require rewiring as below.

Also note that if you wish to try your own Davis instrument you will need to cut the RJ11 6P4C off and replace with an RJ12 6P6C (note RJ11 and RJ12 are identical Plugs with different numbers of pins ) On the replacement RJ12 use pins 3,4,5,and 6. Leave pins 1 & 2 empty.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=543]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=544]

TX v3.11 RJ12 pinout:

Red - Pin3 (GND, for anemometer and vane)
Black - Pin 4 (Anemometer)
Green - Pin 5 (Vane, from variable resistor)
Yellow - Pin 6 ( 5V, for vane)

NB RJ Plugs definition:
RJ12: 6P6C = 6 Position 6 Conductor – used in System phones
RJ11: 6P4C = 6 Position 4 Conductor – used for ADSL, telephone, and modem cables etc
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

Hello,

I am upgrading my FO to a Davis Rain Gauge 7857. Would you know what is the pinout?
I have also black/red/green/yellow wires form the cable; but not too sure how to wire them to the TXv3.12

Many thanks!
Zitoune
(05-08-2016, 16:23)zitoune Wrote: Hello,

I am upgrading my FO to a Davis Rain Gauge 7857. Would you know what is the pinout?
I have also black/red/green/yellow wires form the cable; but not too sure how to wire them to the TXv3.12

Many thanks!
Zitoune

If you take the collector off your gauge you will see that the Black wire is not connected. Yellow and green are tied together, and red goes to the other side of the reed switch. You only need two wires.

Use the middle two pins (pins 3 &4 ) of the RJ11.

Put red wire on pin 3 and yellow on pin 4, snip the green and black wires and do not put them into the RJ11 pins.

http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Thread...Schematics
(05-08-2016, 21:00)JT118 Wrote: If you take the collector off your gauge you will see that the Black wire is not connected. Yellow and green are tied together, and red goes to the other side of the reed switch. You only need two wires.

Use the middle two pins (pins 3 &4 ) of the RJ11.

Put red wire on pin 3 and yellow on pin 4, snip the green and black wires and do not put them into the RJ11 pins.

http://www.meteocercal.info/forum/Thread...Schematics

That's what I exactly did this morning - and you are right, this is the pinout.
Maybe too lazy to check outside yesterday night!
Now let's try Smile Thanks!!
I am looking at getting a Davis 6410 sensor kit soon. Apart from removing the variable resistor from the V2.50 Tx board, does a plug modification apply to this board, or only the v3.xx as indicated here?
(14-04-2017, 22:22)qldbureau Wrote: I am looking at getting a Davis 6410 sensor kit soon. Apart from removing the variable resistor from the V2.50 Tx board, does a plug modification apply to this board, or only the v3.xx as indicated here?

Hi,

Not exactly. The TX v2.50 uses an RJ11 connector (which only have 4 pins), and don't have the 5V for the vane on it, however you can use the Davis 6410 kit with a TX v2.50 board doing just a minimal modification. And yes, you should remove the variable resistor.

Red - Pin1 or Pin 2 (GND, for anemometer and vane)
Black - Pin 3 (Anemometer)
Green - Pin 4 (Vane, from variable resistor)
Yellow - ( 5V, for vane) connect it to a point on the board where the 5V are available.
MeteoCercal - Air Quality Data
Click here to watch at my ThingSpeak channel

(15-04-2017, 04:25)We rk_AG Wrote: Hi,

Not exactly. The TX v2.50 uses an RJ11 connector (which only have 4 pins), and don't have the 5V for the vane on it, however you can use the Davis 6410 kit with a TX v2.50 board doing just a minimal modification. And yes, you should remove the variable resistor.

Red - Pin1 or Pin 2 (GND, for anemometer and vane)
Black - Pin 3 (Anemometer)
Green - Pin 4 (Vane, from variable resistor)
Yellow - ( 5V, for vane) connect it to a point on the board where the 5V are available.

Hi Werk and thank-you. Sounds great and not hard then. I have a 3.12 board but I want to use it for the soil moisture once I get my sensors.