Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Another My WeatherDuino Pro2 system

Hello everyone,

After looking for a new DIY electronics magazine to subscribe to, I ended up getting Silicon Chip. This one is very similar to my old time French magazine I used to read when I was younger. Unfortunately its editor put an end to its issuance a few months ago.

Straight I was caught by this weather station; so I ordered the missing issues with the idea to start again some DIY stuff - and this station was a perfect project for me to start soldering again!
I then ordered all the pieces I needed to build it and eventually a few weeks later I ended up building the 3 boards. Casing was the next step.

I publish a few first pictures of my work here below, the WD board is still missing a case - I am trying to figure out which one would be the best.

Let's start with the sensors: I mounted the mat with all the sensors on an old mop stick whose tip had an hole that fits exactly the mat (I needed to slightly crush it with a pair of plier so that it was the exact same shape as the whole). A few clamps later and it was done!

[Image: IMG_3817.JPG]
[Image: IMG_3818.JPG]

I chose a water proof casing for my TX - I live ina very humid country. I still need to seal the holes with some silicon.
It has a transparent top (very popular here!) because I wanted to see the emitter LED from outside. I used two circular connectors for the power supply and the sensors. All of them are using a standard telephone wire with four wires. The temperature shield contains a DHT22.
Here is it what it looks like:

[Image: IMG_3821.JPG]

I have fixed the PCB with two screws and spacers underneath - the screws are actually glued to the bottom of the case. Pretty neat.

[Image: IMG_3820.JPG]

The position in my building is definitely not the most optimum one but this is only what I can do for now (maybe I should climb to the roof a find a space to put it with a solar panel - probably the next move!).

The RX unit is inside, with a flat rounded corner shape box. The two antennas are at the top with the BP in the center. I cut the LCD whole with a simple cutter and it worked pretty well! I still need to put a bezel to make it look nicer. I'll post inside pictures later one.
Here it is:

[Image: IMG_3822.JPG]
[Image: IMG_3823.JPG]

It's a bit hot in the case, mainly due to the heat generated by the regulator but also the outside temperature which is always around 30 degrees ++

[Image: IMG_3825.JPG]

I love the blue color of the LCD Wink

The WD is done but still misses a case.

Any comment is welcome! I'll post more soon Smile

Here we go again - inside the RX box

Similar to the RX, the PCB is fixed at the bottom of the box with 2 screws glued.

[Image: IMG_3828.JPG]

The temp sensor is glue through a square shaped hole:

[Image: IMG_3829.JPG]

The whole box with the LCD - is is cramped inside its hole with no glue.

[Image: IMG_3830.JPG]

Very impressive. Nice workmanship.
Me envious Smile

Thanks a lot uncle_bob ! Big Grin

(17-07-2015, 10:31)uncle_bob Wrote:  Very impressive. Nice workmanship.
Me envious Smile

I add a few more of the TX unit with no glass top.

[Image: IMG_3831.JPG]

[Image: IMG_3832.JPG]

[Image: IMG_3833.JPG]

Congratulations, you had a lot of care with this construction.
I'm wrong, or you are using original Arduinos from Grativetch US?

Thank you very much Smile

Yes the nano boards are all original from Gravitech US.

I also had to get the Arduino ISP to burn the boot loader again after a few tries to upload sketches - somehow, at some point, it would not load anything to the nano. Burning again the boot loader solved the issue.

(17-07-2015, 19:00)Werk_AG Wrote:  Congratulations, you had a lot of care with this construction.
I'm wrong, or you are using original Arduinos from Grativetch US?

I have finished the WD board and its casing.

I used a case initially dedicated for a Raspberry Pi as it had the 2.8" hole for the screen. It was a bit challenging to put everything inside due to the limited volumes, so I had to find some tricks.

Here is the details of the interior:

[Image: IMG_3856.JPG]

I had to remove the connector housing I made by crimping wires on contacts because their height in the case was too much.
So I soldered the 4 wires of the temperature sensor directly to the male connector of the PCB and used a telephone cable instead of the ribbon cable that took too much space in the enclosure.
I did the same with the TFT screen connectors: each side of the ribbon had initially a housing with crimped connectors which I had to remove to solder the wires directly on the PCB contacts. It's less "nice" but I had no choice - the case would not close at all otherwise..

Next I wanted to pass a USB cable through the case to power the board so i drilled a hole accordingly. But the cable being positioned at the top of the case and it was ugly - well I was not convinced of the rendering. So, I decided to use a male mini USB plug which I hooked directly to the USB cable. As you can see the previous hole I made for the mini USB connector was useful given the extra length of the mini USB plug Smile

The screen is screwed on the panel from behind.

Another view of inside:

[Image: IMG_3857.JPG]

And now the finished product!

[Image: IMG_3859.JPG]

The temperature sensor is glued on the side as follows:

[Image: IMG_3864.JPG]

The antenna adds a bit of weight and moved the gravity center a bit behind - so I have to maintain it against my lamp for now Smile

[Image: IMG_3865.JPG]

And of course the enclosure keys are functional: I have glue a special push button behind to get my display working Wink

[Image: IMG_3863.JPG]

That's it !

(21-07-2015, 16:30)zitoune Wrote:  I have finished the WD board and its casing.

Congratulations. Very nice. And the result is a very slim.

Best Regards
Zdenek

[Image: banner.php]
My outdoor AQM-I: here

Great job!
That case would be ideal if it was just a little bit bigger.

Yes the space is very limited indeed and does not give much choice in using fancy connectors.

But it does the job, looks great and nicely sits on a table/desk Smile