Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WD problems

Hi,
I have built a couple of WD's in the last year and recently one of them has occasionally displays the "red screen", re not receiving data, and I assumed it was a reception issue. To prove this I moved it to the same location as the other unit, but it still had the same issue, and I decided to change the Rx module.
Because of the limited space available in the WD case, the Rx module is soldered direct to the pc board and difficult to change easily. 
In my Rx unit I have the TX and Rx modules plugged into sockets, as there is plenty of room, and this allowed me to test the module before I installed it in the WD unit.
I changed it over and to date I have not noticed the "red screen" again (but I don't sit and watch it all day), but the data in the outside temp / humidity field is corrupted as shown in the RH unit in the attached photo.
The software is WD+ V2.1 b003 in both units.
Regards
Jim

Jim, try to check if the TFT cables are firmly connected at both sides (board and display). Long cables (which is not the case here) and poor contacts is the main cause of corruption of the screen, however its strange that it only occurs in one zone of the screen.

Is the outside temp / humidity field always corrupted? Even at startup?

Werk,
I rebooted the problem one and now I don't get any data at all just the dotted lines. I went through all screens and found another problem area, the recently added field re the temp / humidity at the receiver location, and it has no data either. I would appear that the missing fields are the last ones to be updated??? Refer attached photos.

I will open the unit today and check all joints etc and report back.
Regards

Hi Jim,

Now it doesn't seem to be an hardware problem.
Are both units running exactly the same software? By the pictures it seems not. Try running both with the same software without any modification.

Werk,
As requested I have reloaded both units with the original file, the only alteration being the local T/H sensor changed to DHT22 in both cases.
I have opened the unit and all looks OK with the wires soldered to the WD board and sockets on the display due to lack of room in the case.
Regards
Jim

Werk,
Is there any way we can configure the code to show RF efficiency as in the new Pro2 plus RX?
JIm

(15-06-2017, 02:38)Barrow4491 Wrote:  Werk,
As requested I have reloaded both units with the original file, the only alteration being the local T/H sensor changed to DHT22 in both cases.
I have opened the unit and all looks OK with the wires soldered to the WD board and sockets on the display due to lack of room in the case.
Regards
Jim

Strange thing. Same hardware, same software, both units receive data from the same source, and both have behave differently. At moment I can't see what can be causing it.

(15-06-2017, 02:42)Barrow4491 Wrote:  Werk,
Is there any way we can configure the code to show RF efficiency as in the new Pro2 plus RX?
JIm

The RAM memory on the WD Nano it's already short, but perhaps it could be done at some point. I took note of the suggestion.

(14-06-2017, 03:41)Barrow4491 Wrote:  ... but the data in the outside temp / humidity field is corrupted as shown in the RH unit in the attached photo.
The software is WD+ V2.1 b003 in both units.
Regards
Jim

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1009]

Hi Jim,

I've been investigating the reported issue, and I managed to discovered what's the cause. Properly its not a corrupted data... when the WD unit doesn't receive some type of data during a 5 minutes period, it plots a three dashes "---" on the corresponding type of data. The problem is that in the case of outside temperature the dashes are plotted with a font size smaller than it should, causing that they don't completely override the last received temperature data.
Correction will be included on next update of WeatherDuino Pro2 PLUS software package.
Thank you for having reported it.

Regards

Werk,
I have been looking at the hardware in both units and the only difference is the "nano's". The one in the good unit is a duinotech brand and the other has an Ebay no name clone. They are hard soldered to the pcb because of space restraints and difficult to change so I used ones that had been proven in either my Tx or Rx for a period.
Your solution is noted for the outside Temp and Rh but will this solve the issue of there being no data in the Rx Temp/Rh field and why is only one unit being affected ?
Thanks for your assistance again,
Regards,
Jim

Jim, I can bet that there isn't any problem with any of your nanos, as both units are working. To me the issue seems related to the radio module.
How frequently the LED blinks on both units? I suspect that the led on the problematic unit blinks only occasionally or with a lower frequency than the one that is working properly.

Could you try testing it with another antenna, or even without antenna? Does it change anything?