Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Extra boards installation issue

Zdenek,
Thanks for your interest, the history is that I purchased the unit some months ago and was overseas when it arrived and upon my return I configured the sketch and all went fine when I uploaded via USB.
At this time I did not download python for the OTA update, but on the release of v7 of the software I decided to give it a go.
Once I disabled my antivirus software the update went smoothly until it tried to reboot and it would not reconnect to the wireless network and hence not update as I had set if for WiFi not Rf.
I tried many times but it would not connect to WiFi (the blue LED on the ESP did not flash but stayed constantly on)
Yesterday in the morning I found that it had obtained an IP address, obviously it was trying to find the network during the night and the DCHP server had allocated an address. I did another OTA which it completed but the WiFi failed on the reboot.
Now it does not have an IP address and therefore is pretty useless.
I can only assume that the module Is faulty as there are no other components apart from the display.
I am a bit disappointed as the unit was not cheap and it fulfilled a purpose in my home where the Rf was patchy and the WiFi was good.
Regards
Jim
PS I just checked it and it is reporting an IP address again obtained in the last hour —-how strange??
Jim

(26-07-2018, 02:50)Barrow4491 Wrote:  ...
I can only assume that the module Is faulty as there are no other components apart from the display.
I am a bit disappointed as the unit was not cheap and it fulfilled a purpose in my home where the Rf was patchy and the WiFi was good.
Regards
Jim
PS I just checked it and it is reporting an IP address again obtained in the last hour —-how strange??
Jim

Hi Jim

By all the signs the WiFi module is working! These things don't fail easily. Thinking that the problem is on the WD hardware only puts you away of finding the real problem
I understand your disappointment, but as you could understand I'm completely unable to solve eventual problems you may have in your local network, and surely there are some, a sign of this is your difficulties in obtaining the "Extra boards" using the boards manager in your laptop. Check your firewall rules and see if the Arduino isn't blocked.

Regarding the WD, follow Zdenek suggestion, which is already mentioned on the forum many many times. Once the WD gets an IP, go to the web management of your router and take note of the MAC address associated to the WD unit, then, also on your router, bind that MAC address to an IP address outside of the DHCP range (each router have its own way to do this, so I can't say how it can be done in yours). Then reset your router and reset the WD unit too, after that the WD unit always will get the same IP address (the same procedure is also recommended for the receiver, in fact any device with permanent use in a local network, should have a fixed IP instead of a dynamically IP given by the router DHCP).

The last thing I want is having anyone disappointed with any WeatherDuino device, so if you wish, you can send back your WD unit, I will refund you the cost of the unit.

Regards

Jim, what's the make and model of your modem/router. I'll look up the instructions as to how to a assign a static IP in the DHCP part of it.

(26-07-2018, 10:29)uncle_bob Wrote:  Jim, what's the make and model of your modem/router. I'll look up the instructions as to how to a assign a static IP in the DHCP part of it.

U_B
I am using an apple AirPort Extreme linked to an airport express for extra coverage on the mid level of my unit but running Widdows 10 on my computers
Jim

(26-07-2018, 03:38)Werk_AG Wrote:  
(26-07-2018, 02:50)Barrow4491 Wrote:  ...
Regards
Jim
Jim

Hi Jim

By all the signs the WiFi module is working! These things don't fail easily. Thinking that the problem is on the WD hardware only puts you away of finding the real problem
I understand your disappointment, but as you could understand I'm completely unable to solve eventual problems you may have in your local network, and surely there are some, a sign of this is your difficulties in obtaining the "Extra boards" using the boards manager in your laptop. Check your firewall rules and see if the Arduino isn't blocked.

Regarding the WD, follow Zdenek suggestion, which is already mentioned on the forum many many times. Once the WD gets an IP, go to the web management of your router and take note of the MAC address associated to the WD unit, then, also on your router, bind that MAC address to an IP address outside of the DHCP range (each router have its own way to do this, so I can't say how it can be done in yours). Then reset your router and reset the WD unit too, after that the WD unit always will get the same IP address (the same procedure is also recommended for the receiver, in fact any device with permanent use in a local network, should have a fixed IP instead of a dynamically IP given by the router DHCP).

The last thing I want is having anyone disappointed with any WeatherDuino device, so if you wish, you can send back your WD unit, I will refund you the cost of the unit.

Regards
Werk,
I do not want to return it, thanks for the offer, as it was working perfectly for nearly three months and I was very happy with it.
The issue with the extra boards is a common problem according to what I read on the net, I just ran out of time to pursue it and used my desktop instead. As to the static IP, that was my next question and will assign one to The Rx as well. Is there a schematic available for the WD and if so can I please get a copy?
Regards
Jim