Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Battery backup benefits in RX unit ?

Hi guys - i see that some people have chosen to put battery backup in the RX unit. I was wondering what the benefits of this approach are ? 

I will be using a battery powered TX and a AC powered RX connected to Weather Underground. 

I assume the battery backup is to prevent the loss of data during blackouts.

If the RX box looses power does the TX store the data until it comes back up ? or 

If the RX box has battery backup but the internet connection is lost does the RX store data until the internet works again ? 

Can someone please help clarify ?

PS - got the RX box fired up yesterday and it seems to work. Not fully tested yet and still waiting for a few bits, but a good start.

Firstly, congratulations on getting your RX powered up; I am sure you will be very pleased once it has been fully tested and set up.

Battery backup in the RX unit is not necessary, but does have benefits. For me, I chose to plug my RX system into my computer's UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) which I use to keep my computer and modem/router running during a power failure.

The TX unit does not store the data and send it once the RX unit comes back online. This is why many choose to have some sort of power back-up for the RX unit. EG: If you get a strong wind gust, it will not be logged. I do think the TX unit does store rain bucket tips.

I have found that the RX unit does automatically reconnect to the internet if the WIFI connection is lost. The RX system does have internal storage and records can be downloaded to software (such as Cumulus) when it is reconnected through the USB to the computer. But to the best of my knowledge there is no method (yet) of getting the stored data to upload over the WIFI when reconnection is made.

Hope this was useful,
PalmyWeather

(19-02-2018, 04:46)coupe pete Wrote:  Hi guys - i see that some people have chosen to put battery backup in the RX unit. I was wondering what the benefits of this approach are ? 

I will be using a battery powered TX and a AC powered RX connected to Weather Underground. 

I assume the battery backup is to prevent the loss of data during blackouts.

If the RX box looses power does the TX store the data until it comes back up ? or 

If the RX box has battery backup but the internet connection is lost does the RX store data until the internet works again ? 

Can someone please help clarify ?

PS - got the RX box fired up yesterday and it seems to work. Not fully tested yet and still waiting for a few bits, but a good start.

(19-02-2018, 05:16)Palmyweather Wrote:  Battery backup in the RX unit is not necessary, but does have benefits. For me, I chose to plug my RX system into my computer's UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) which I use to keep my computer and modem/router running during a power failure.

Thats is also my approach.
WeatherDuino and computer on the same UPS.

Router its on another UPS, because they aren't physically near.

(19-02-2018, 04:46)coupe pete Wrote:  If the RX box looses power does the TX store the data until it comes back up ? or
If the RX box has battery backup but the internet connection is lost does the RX store data until the internet works again ?
Can someone please help clarify ?

As said by Palmyweather, the TX unit only records the rain tips.
The receiver have a data logger included, exactly with the same functionalities as the Davis data logger. Whenever the receiver keeps powered, data is stored at the user defined interval (5, 15, 30 minutes). So if for any reason, the user have to switch down the computer where Cumulus (or other software) is running, then, when you  restart Cumulus, it will fetch from the logger, all the data since the last time on.

(19-02-2018, 04:46)coupe pete Wrote:  PS - got the RX box fired up yesterday and it seems to work. Not fully tested yet and still waiting for a few bits, but a good start.

Please keep us informed of the progresses, this always help other users.

Ok - thanks for clarifying. I'll have to think about where to locate the Rx.

(19-02-2018, 22:24)coupe pete Wrote:  Ok - thanks for clarifying. I'll have to think about where to locate the Rx.

I have just got the tx unit running now, still waiting for sensors which hopefully will arrive next week. So far so good.